Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Yams and Potatoes

Yams and potatoes could probably carry most of the meal, along with maybe some turkey and stuffing. Candied yams MUST have marshmallows on top because it is a) delicious and b) tradition. I think Mom (the standard to which this entire meal is compared) usually gets the yams from a can though, and I have determined that that part is not tradition. So, I cut up the giant yam that resembled a seal and two or three smaller yams, wrapped them in foil and threw them into the oven on a baking sheet at 425C. I glanced at these two recipes for guidance, but mostly for cooking times and general ingredients. I poked at them with a fork to test for doneness, then let them cool slightly, easily peeled off the skins, cut into slightly smaller chunks and threw into the fridge. When I was ready to throw them in the oven again, I think I melted about 3-4 tablespoons of butter, stirred in 1/4 cup of brown sugar, a dollop of Vermont! maple syrup and some shakes of cinnamon. I then mixed all that with the yams and threw them into the oven, 350C-ish for about 20 minutes. Threw on marshmallows and cooked about 5 more minutes until brown and about ready to fling themselves out of the bowl. For the mashed potatoes, I (meaning my sister) peeled nearly 5 pounds of potatoes, cut them in half and threw them into a large pot of boiling water. They took forever to cook, and then I (meaning my sister and my roommate's sister) mashed them with butter and milk and salt and pepper until they "tasted good. Don't you know what mashed potatoes are supposed to taste like? Add more butter!" (verbatim transcript)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home