Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas stollen

My most beautiful cookbook (shut up, it is beautiful) Home Baking has a lot of seasonal breads in it, and I've been meaning to make the stollen for a few years now, despite the fact it never was anything I had in my childhood or a family tradition or anything. Although the Germans do seem to do Christmas best; my mother does make lebkuchen cookies with oblaten wafers every year. These are heavy on the almonds, so I never eat them unless she refrains from decorating some. Anyway, some helpful links:
.wav file for pronunciation

stollen is praised by gawker, so it must be good

My version involves the previously mentioned candied peel, and dried cranberries. No one likes raisins, son. It's quark stollen, but quark is somewhat lacking in the bodegas and markets of Brooklyn, so I substituted Greek yogurt. Germans and Greeks get along, right? My recipe had no almonds, but many do. Or, worse, marzipan. (It's harder to see and pick out marzipan than it is almond slivers.) Seriously, people, stop it with the almonds. It's kind of trying too hard, really. The fruit is all soaked overnight in a mixture of orange juice, rum and black tea. Mmm.
I halved the recipe, which was a blessing, as the loaves made are humongous. Here they are, wrapped up in swaddling clothes. Uh, saran wrap. This isn't blasphemous, as stollen are supposed to look swaddled. Or mine entrances. It's all a bit confusing, really. See the first link above. I froze one, ate half of one over the course of a week and took the rest home.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home