Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lomi Lomi Salmon

1 tomato. Mine was nearly a pound. I bought it at a farmer's market and assumed 1 tomato equals, I dunno, a third of a pound. This is not true, but the tomato is forgiven for being so expensive by being so delicious. I was really hoping to avoid that correlation.
Smoked salmon. I went to three grocery stores before finding a 4 oz piece of smoked salmon. NOT lox or anything like that. A whole chunk of salty goodness is needed.
Onion. My mother uses green onions, which add a nice bit of color but not all that much taste. Apparently, she only makes it this way because my dad is allergic to normal onions. So I used half of a white onion I had on hand.

Slice slice, dice dice, and sort of crumble/shred the salmon into a bowl. Shake on some salt, and add a few ice cubes. Stir together. (Hold up, wikipedia says the whole point is to massage the ingredients together, as this is what "lomi lomi" means. Alright, kinky. Me, I think just stirring, maybe some slight mashing, is enough. But figure out your own level of comfort.) Cover and place in fridge to let ice melt and everything to soften together. Eat with rice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home