Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Green Beans and Gravy

I've never made green bean casserole, as we usually just had broccoli in my family. My family (and I) love broccoli like nothing else. However, the rest of the apartment had very very strong feelings about the casserole, and I'll admit I was also tempted by the wholesome, too-happy families on TV serving it. Or maybe I was just tempted by the fried onions. Which took forever to find, they were next to the crackers. I (=roommate's sister, before the tragic cranberry sauce incident) made it according the the back of the can of cream of mushroom soup. We did use freshly cooked green beans however, and it was not too bad. Next time though, I think I might try this recipe instead.

As for the gravy, I made a roux-thingy with two tablespoons of butter heated until frothy, and two tablespoons flour stirred in. The pan juices, after decanting most of the fat, were added, along with minced neck meat from the long-simmering neck. I threw some chicken stock in, but I should have used a lot more, since the gravy was a little too thick and there wasn't really enough to go around generously. I was sort of tired at this point and wanted to eat, so I didn't spend very long on it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home