Thursday, July 19, 2007

Botulism-free (day one, at least)

This post was written for me. I am both terrified of killing myself with botulism and also way too lazy to do all the boiling steps needed to can things and not, you know, kill myself with botulism. So the idea that you can just make up a small batch of jam and store it in the fridge was very appealing to me. I went to the greenmarket at Borough Hall to buy a half-pint of raspberries and peaches, as seen below. Although you can't tell from the picture, 3 of the peaches are superripe and 2 of them were bought at a different stand and were pretty hard. This ended up not making a difference by the end, which was my hypothesis to begin with. Probably the ripe ones were the way to go though. All of that, which was probably just a little less than 2 pounds of fruit, was roughly peeled and pitted went into the pot, with a shake a salt, a few splashes of lemon juice and a cup of sugar.
Since Pim's recipe was 2 cups of sugar and she was already being conservative, I thought I would be on the safe side. But the jam ended up a little bit too sweet for my tastes, and I should have started with just half a cup of sugar or less. Simmered and stirred for about an hour. Halfway through, it was still very watery with whole pieces of fruit, and no jam-soul. Below, you see the finished product, thick and melded together with definitive glowing blue jam-soul present.
Repurposed a pickle jar by staring at the fridge and figuring out what could be easily transferred to the cheap tupperware.
Sorry, pickles.Hello, jam!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home