Sunday, July 22, 2007

In which I tempt fate yet again

My newly made jam is crying to be eaten. Biscuits are clearly called for. But...the buttermilk in my fridge has been sitting there for a few weeks. The expiration date is June 29th. However, the good people of the internet seem to agree that buttermilk is really okay after the date, especially if you're just cooking with it, not drinking it. Since it seems to be liquid still, more or less, biscuits with buttermilk being the title ingredient in order.
If I don't update tomorrow, I'm probably dead from a one-two combo of botulism and salmonella. But I feel fine now, after eating three biscuits. The recipe is from Baker's Illustrated, as usual. Their tip for making biscuits sans food processor was to grate frozen butter into the dry ingredients with a cheese grater. This worked out really well except for the last bit of butter, which started to melt in my hands, so I quickly chopped it up when I couldn't grate anymore. I made a half recipe, for 6 biscuits, which I really should have just turned into 4. Still, they came out charmingly and delicious.

Fresh from the oven.
With jam and brie.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home