Monday, September 17, 2007

C is for Chocolate Cookie

These peanut butter chip chocolate cookies I've been eating constantly are pretty amazing. I made them for my friend's birthday (Happy Birthday!) and took them to her when we met in South Carolina. She agreed about the amazing-ness. I've made them before with white chocolate chips instead of peanut butter, and while I don't really like white chocolate (there was some deep symbolism involved in the recipe having them though) they were promptly eaten by my roommates and I instead of being given to our new neighbors, as was the original intention. Things have been sort of tense with them ever since.
Anyway, given that half a recipe made 20 cookies and had a whole half-pound of chocolate, there's pretty much no way they couldn't be delicious. The recipe comes from Baker's Illustrated, which I love more than my firstborn. If, you know, I had one. Ahem. I'll adapt it here, not out of any sort of altruism to you (and obviously not to the publishers) but so I can make it anywhere I have access to the internet. So:

Chocolate, chocolate, and more (yet optional) chocolate cookies.
(Adapted from Thick and Chewy Triple-Chocolate Cookies from Baker's Illustrated)
(Also, this is for the half-recipe, but you can double it. Or triple it. Or quadruple it. But I might stop there.)
Sift 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of cocoa, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt together.
Melt 8 ounces of semisweet chocolate somehow.
Lightly beat 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract together, and 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder on top.
Beat 5 tablespoons softened butter, add 1/4 cup white sugar and 3/4 cup packed brown sugar. Add egg mixture, then chocolate, then dry ingredients. Stir in 6 ounces of chips of some sort if desired.
Cover with plastic wrap in bowl, let sit at room temp for 1/2 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place spoonfuls on sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, switching racks at the 5 minute point. (I should add here that I left the darker baking sheet in for 9 minutes, and the lighter one in for 11 minutes. They will still look soft and maybe just a little uncooked in the very center though.) Cool on pans for 10 minutes, then remove cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling. Eat.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home