Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Stuffing and Rolls and Rice

As a young child, I was deprived of stuffing...I don't believe my grandmother ever made it, and my family has a lot (A LOT) of food allergies, including a wheat allergy running rampant. While I escaped that, it meant that stuffing was not really around. I may have had it first in high school. This makes me sad, in retrospect, but at least I can eat it now. But, as a consequence, I have no childhood image or taste in my mind of what stuffing is supposed to be. I'm fairly happy with StoveTop, but I had some Target-brand stuffing a few weeks ago that was really really bad and turned me off of boxed stuffing. I ended up combining two recipes, one from the Minimalist, and one from Simply Recipes. I think I made enough changes to call it my own. As will become clear, I am sort of adamant about very traditional stuffing, with no excess things in it.

Out of Deprivation, Stuffing (or, "Sorry, Sister! Wild Rice is very good also! Stuffing")
1 gigantic loaf of french bread
1 smaller loaf of semolina bread, both bought a few days before cooking
giblets and neck from turkey, or chicken broth, probably
2 onions
butter
tarragon
rubbing sage

Simmer giblets and neck for an hour in water. Pour out liquid and reserve. Throw giblets away on grounds of being icky. Simmer neck in a new pot of water indefinitely/until tender/until gone since you've picked at it so much. Turkey neck is excellent. From liquid, decant most of the fat.
While innards simmer, cut the bread into cubes. It should be slightly stale. Spread out in pan and put in oven at 350C or so until more crunchy. Melt butter in pan and throw in bread cubes. This took me two go-rounds. Let bread cubes get toasted on a few sides. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot and saute chopped onions. Add bread cubes and some of the stock, tarragon and sage. Stir. Cover and periodically add more stock (and bread cubes, if they didn't fit in the pot the first time). Take off heat after an hour. When ready to serve, spread out in pan again and cook at about 350C until warm and slightly crisp. Stuff self.

----------------------------------------------------
The rolls were super-easy and could be made up to 2 hours in advance and kept in the fridge. My, and your, favorite part is grating frozen butter. The recipe is from Baking Illustrated, of course. As my roommate ate three of them, they evidently turned out well.

----------------------------------------------------
As I mentioned earlier, my family usually has wild rice instead of stuffing, so we made some from a box too. I only bought one box, which I sort of thought would be okay since we wouldn't be eating the recommended serving size, what with all the other food, but then I reconsidered and wanted to buy more, but then forgot. Short story, I should have bought more. Also, due to flat surface limitations by the end of the evening, the rice cooker went on the floor, all lonely.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home